I made this recipe for someone in my life who was struggling to digest grains. Almond flour is a perfect grain substitute and the healthy fats that it contains help to create moist, fluffy products.
You don’t need a deep fryer to make these donuts! I used these silicone donut pans from Amazon. They are easy to use, easy to clean, and heat resistant up to 450 F!
Now, the fresh ginger is a must in order to make the flavor really stand out. I used fresh ginger as well as ground ginger powder, which you can find in the spice aisle in the grocery store. Fresh ginger can be bought in bulk in the produce section. I used a knife to peel the skin off the ginger and then grated it against a fine zester. Or, if you’re a fan of saving time, you can use fresh ginger that has already been minced. I’ve used this brand and it works great!
Don’t let the long ingredient list intimidate you from making this recipe. You likely have most of the ingredients already in your pantry! Trust me, they are worth it!
Grain-Free Gingerbread Donuts
- Electric mixer
- Silicone donut pan
- 2 Eggs
- 2 tbsp Maple syrup
- 2 tbsp Brown sugar
- 1 tbsp Cashew butter
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp Fresh minced ginger
- 1 Cup Almond flour
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp Ground cloves
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tbsp Molasses
- 1 tbsp Cashew butter
- 1 tbsp Maple syrup
- 1 tbsp Almond milk
- 1/3 Cup Powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Ground ginger
- Preheat oven to 325 F. Using an electric mixer, mix together the eggs, maple syrup, brown sugar, cashew butter, vanilla extract, and fresh ginger.
- Once the egg mixture is combined, add in the almond flour and cashew flour.
- After the almond and cashew flour is thoroughly mixed in, add the cinnamon, ginger powder, ground cloves, and baking powder. Mix thoroughly.
- Lastly, mix in the 1 tbsp of molasses and mix until combined.
- Scoop an even amount of mixture into 6 donut molds using a silicone donut pan.
- Bake for 11-13 minutes until a toothpick or fork comes out clean. Let cool.
- Heat up the cashew butter for 20-30 seconds. Then, add the maple syrup and almond milk and stir until combined.
- Stir in the powdered sugar.
- Add in the cinnamon and ginger powder. You might have to add some more powdered sugar to texture.
- Stir the icing mixture with a fork until the powdered sugar is completely combined with no lumps.
- Pour the icing over the donuts and let it harden completely before removing the donuts from the pan.